Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Two comments of Men

One from "Heaven Can Wait", a guy saying to the woman he has a crush on:

"If I were, for instance, a suit or clothes, you wouldn't call me a stylish cut, and I prefer it that way. But I can safely say I'm made of solid material, I'm sewed together carefully and I have good lining, Martha. Frankly, I believe I wear well. I'm not too hot in the summer and I give protection in the winter."

Another one from "The Shop Around the Corner". The two are in constant quarrel.

Alfred Kralik: "There might be a lot we don't know about each other. You know, people seldom go to the trouble of scratching the surface of things to find the inner truth."

Klara Novak: "Well I really wouldn't care to scratch your surface, Mr. Kralik, because I know exactly what I'd find. Instead of a heart, a hand-bag. Instead of a soul, a suitcase. And instead of an intellect, a cigarette lighter... which doesn't work."

Both films are made by Ernst Lubitsch. What would Freud say about the "I wear well" claim and the "cigarette lighter which doesn't work" comment? :-)

Technorati Tags:, , , ,

2 comments:

  1. You know darn well that Lubitsch knew his Freud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A sexist Chinese saying goes like "brothers are arms and legs while wives are clothes", meaning that brotherhood weighs more than women. So the first quote just cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete